Friday, October 22, 2010

Jesus Saves

In downtown Los Angeles, on Hope Street, stood The Church of the Open Door. It stood there for seventy years until it was demolished in the late 80’s after some severe earthquake damage. R.A Torrey founded it. Louis T. Talbot and J. Vernon McGee were senior pastors there. It was in the heart of the city. Some even said it was the soul of the city. What I remember was the sign on the top of the building. In big, bold, red neon, the sign declared JESUS SAVES.

Over the years, big glass skyscrapers were built all around that church. At night, you could see the reflection of that sign from several vantage points due to the reflections of the many glass walls surrounding the church. It was simply amazing. In my early days as a new Christian, I would listen to J. Vernon McGee preach. I heard sound doctrine, solid gospel and honest conviction.

Last week I heard a message from another radio pastor who has gone on to be with the Lord. Adrian Rogers. He was saying something I had not heard anyone say before.

“Oh yes, Jesus saves”, he said. “It is what he does. He saves sinners like you and me”, he went on. I’ve heard that and know that. I’ve been saved by the blood of Jesus.

What was different was this … He said “many people declare that they have been saved by Jesus. The problem is they have not made Jesus the Lord of their life. Lord is WHO He is and saving is WHAT He does.

The question Pastor Rogers put plainly was this … Is Jesus Lord of your life? If not, why not? Is He Lord of your marriage and job and children and finances or is He recognized as simply the one who saved a wretch.

I’ve been chewing on that thought for a few days now. The conviction of the Spirit has been gnawing at my heart.

Thank you father for sending your Son to save a wretch like me. All I am and all I have are yours, Jesus. Forgive me for the things I have done and left undone without you being considered Lord of my life. Be the Lord of my Life each day and each moment and each breath. Thank you Jesus for who you are ... King of kings and Lord of lords. Amen and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment