Saturday, December 18, 2010

The lasting value of a gift


I remember as a small boy wanting a 10-speed bicycle for Christmas.  We lived in a rural town  and school was about 4 miles away. There was no bus service in our town so I rode my bike or walked to school. If the weather was bad, my mom would drive me to school.

The other gift I really wanted was a crystal radio so I could listen to the Dodgers play.  The Dodgers moved from Brooklyn to Los Angeles and I wanted to listen to the games at night and on the weekends.
On Christmas morning, there were three gifts under the tree. There was a 10-speed Schwinn bicycle, a Heathkit Crystal radio and a bible.

I was excited … in that order.  The bike would get me further and faster. The radio, once I put it together, would open my world of sports even more. The bible would go on the shelf.

The bike lasted about three years. The crystal radio became obsolete the next year with the transistor radio. The bible, the Word of God, has been with me for a lifetime. 

What gift will you give this year?
What gift will you receive this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment